[clug] CVS pain

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed May 18 12:13:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:26 pm, Michael Still wrote:
> (Suggestions for other source control systems will be entertained, if:
>     - I can checkin these changes first
You're pretty much stuck resolving the CVS problem first.

>     - My source history going back five years isn't lost in the upgrade
The KDE transition of CVS history to Subversion worked pretty well. In some
ways, its clearer (because some of the translation "commit storms" got merged
into an atomic revision) and you can see what happened when the admins moved
stuff around on the CVS server, so history is actually better :-)

>     - There is an equivalent to cvsweb
ViewCVS is your friend.

>     - Bonus points for solutions which don't break my current cvsweb
>       URLs)
Ah, nope.

My experience with SVN is pretty limited so far, but it does seem fairly
stable, fairly scaleable (I just checked in rev 415333), and while it isn't
so capable when I'm offline (unlike a truly distributed system), being able
to do a local diff and a local revert is at least 90% of my needs solved.

If you can keep conceptual track of which copy is which, then a distributed
system is almost certainly more powerful, but if your workflow with CVS is
OK, then I'd definitely recommend giving SVN a go.

Brad