[clug] CLUGers interested in creating a "Government LINUX"

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Tue May 3 07:28:59 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 13:54 +1000, Don Munro wrote:
> I have been approached by a couple of companies offering (NOT IT) services
> to federal and local goverment who would like to have created an
> "government open source desktop" configuration of LINUX. They wondered if
> there were any CLUG members interested in configuring one of the distros to
> do the sorts of things Government wants as a prototype? They would be happy
> to sponsor some Pizzas and Pepsi for CLUG meetings, and to to give a
> presentation on why they think such a prototype would encourage the uptake
> of open source in Government. They would not "own" the prototype as the
> whole idea is to create something that would be generally useful right out
> of the box; and to give it away.
>
> It would need someone/group to coordinate the effort, and a few members
> interested in solving problems and tailoring and configuring different
> software.

Sounds like a good project.  They'd want to sit down and work out just
what is it is they're after, though.  I mean, distros already exist.
What are they trying to get out of a customised distro?  The
Department's web site as default Home on the browsers?   Do they mean
something like FAI with standardised settings on a CD?

Drew