[clug] Your mission, if you chose to accept...

David Collett davico at tpg.com.au
Mon May 2 08:13:17 GMT 2005

Hi,

Disclaimer: I *think* I am talking about a S38GP, but I could have
screwed up... (It is a work laptop, I don't have it handy for reference)

I tried to install hoary on an S38GP and the install cd did not boot. I
was using the "preview" install CD at the time as it was a few weeks
before the official release, I doubt the official release will be any
different.

Anyway, what I had to to was boot the install cd with acpi=off (or was
it noacpi?) to disable acpi as that was causing the hang. After
installation, I built my own 2.6.11 kernel which fixes the ACPI problem
and also adds proper support for PCI Express and the onboard SATA
controller etc. I think 2.6.12 will also add support for the audio chip.

All round, 2.6.11 is a much better kernel than 2.6.10 on the S38GP and
2.6.12 will be even better. The moral of the story is that the S38GP (or
S380 as it is known "OS") is very new (Intel 915, PCI-Express, SATA,
DDR2) and it could take a few months for everything to work just right.
I would guess you will have the same problems with any distro as they
are core kernel issues. You will likely have to compile (or otherwise
obtain) a newer kernel than any current distro can provide out of the
box to get everything working.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any problems.

Dave

If you have any problems let me know.