[clug] Hoary old chestnut: Use of 'dump'

Stephen Granger sgranger at stepsoft.com.au
Mon Jul 25 05:49:18 GMT 2005

IMHO Sounds like your mate is an oldschool Unix sysadmin who hasn't
figured out how to use rsync, (that's just what I've had to deal with in
the past)

It's a Russian roulette style of backup. We used it here for a while and
it worked fine. Redhat discourages the use of it going off Linus' statment
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/admin-primer/s1-disaster-rhlspec.html

I'm pretty sure dump only works with ext2/3 file systems and NOT with
reiserfs.

Why not try rsync, tar, gzip combination? or bacula, amanda, and the
rest which other people will suggest.

My favourite quote "Go forth and back up"

--
Stephen Granger