[clug] LCA 2005 help needed

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 6 10:17:06 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:56:23PM +1100, Edward C. Lang wrote:
> From what I gather, people should be able to use the WiFi on campus
> without authenticating, but they'll be denied access to the cache -- I
> forget if useful ports (ssh) are similarly blocked.

Without authenticating, web access on port 80 is redirected
by transparent proxy to an authentication page, and once
authenticated you get transparent proxied HTTP on port 80,
and ports 443, 993 and 995 to the world, and ports 22 and
25 on campus only. (Staff also get 22 to the world. The rest
of us end up with sshd listening on port 443.)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.