[clug] LCA 2005 help needed

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Jan 6 21:05:09 GMT 2005

Paul Hampson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:56:23PM +1100, Edward C. Lang wrote:
>
>>From what I gather, people should be able to use the WiFi on campus
>>without authenticating, but they'll be denied access to the cache -- I
>>forget if useful ports (ssh) are similarly blocked.
>
> Without authenticating, web access on port 80 is redirected
> by transparent proxy to an authentication page, and once
> authenticated you get transparent proxied HTTP on port 80,
> and ports 443, 993 and 995 to the world, and ports 22 and
> 25 on campus only. (Staff also get 22 to the world. The rest
> of us end up with sshd listening on port 443.)

Fear not! I am assured LCA folk have that aspect in hand for the conference.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "The geek shall inherit
http://www.stillhq.com            |  the earth"

Linux.conf.au 2005 -- Quite like an excellent Linux and Open Source
conference. http://lca2005.linux.org.au