[clug] transact streaming

Francis Whittle fudje at phreaker.net
Wed Feb 9 03:46:23 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:12 +1100, Nicolas Cherbuin wrote:

> I have a PIII 650 for router and the I3 settop box. And of course, yes I
> have a transTV subscription which works fine through the I3.

Well, at least you have the appropriate hardware ?

> My router eth1 is connected to eth 2 of the ISG box, the router eth0
> goes to the rest of the network. I run fedora 2 and firestarter as
> firewall (in which I accept outside broadcasts, tick box in
> preferences). My network works fine and I can browse the net, do mail,
> etc with the clients and the router. VLC is also working correctly on
> the router and I can stream to the clients.

Hve you tried streaming to multicast addresses?  That might give you
some clues....

> I have tried
>
> vlc udp:@239.193.0.x:8208 (x = 2,7,9,etc.) and since it did not work I have tried to add a
> new route. Since I am always connected to my ISP (transact on ppp0) and
> since eht1 does not have an IP address I am not sure how to do it.
> Certainly the suggestions on whirlpool did not work: route add -net
> 239.193.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth1 (no such harware error).

Interesting.  But pppoe works over the device?  Try giving it a
192.168.0.x address (FYI, the marconi modem always has an IP of
192.168.0.1 which is kind of braindead for a lot of applications, but
works fine on my network here, which uses the 10.10.10.0/24 network --
But I have to set up an explicit route for 192.168.0.1 to get the
stream/

> I can route add -net 239.193.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev ppp0 but it
> goes to my ISP rather than to the transact stream. I have been
> wondering whether it could be a firewall problem but I am afraid that
> my expertise is limited in this area. Are there other multicast streams
> on the net with which I could test this theory? What should I check? Am I meant to be able to ping 239.193.0.x (because I can't)?

Your Internet pppoe bridge and your TV pppoe bridge are different ;)
You don't want to route though your ppp device.
AFAIK none of the Transact ISPs (or any ISPs in Canberra in fact) do
multicast, so not much use there.  Feel special because for Multicast
network things in Canberra, TransTV is about it.

Pinging multicast addresses should only work if any machines connected
to your network are accessing that address (Multicast works by having
multiple machines with the same IP address, so...).

> Any suggestions?
>
> Your help would be very much appreaciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nic

Hope that helped some,

Francis