[clug] transact streaming

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Wed Feb 9 10:12:35 GMT 2005

Nicolas Cherbuin <n.cherbuin at anu.edu.au> wrote:

> My router eth1 is connected to eth 2 of the ISG box, the router eth0
> goes to the rest of the network. I run fedora 2 and firestarter as
> firewall (in which I accept outside broadcasts, tick box in
> preferences).

You need to double (and triple) check that firestarter won't silently
drop multicast packets, as distinct from broadcast packets. My firewall
was oh-so-helpfully silently dropping the multicast stream. Not helpful.

> Since I am always connected to my ISP (transact on ppp0) and
> since eht1 does not have an IP address I am not sure how to do it.

Easy. On the firewall box:

ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.2
route -net 224.0.0.0/4 dev eth1

apt-rpm install pimd (or however it works on Fedora)

Then use the STB to tune in a channel. Use VLC to tune the same channel.
Watch. Enjoy.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten it working in such a way that I can
stream stuff independantly of the STB. I don't think the upstream
TransTV routers are answering pimd's IGMP queries, because they have
their routes more firmly defined. So it's impossible to convince pimd to
join a multicast group on my behalf.

For my next trick, I'll be trying to configure VLC or some other
multicast streaming software as an application level proxy on my
firewall while attempting to convince myself that my firewall remains
secure.

Another option is to convince the firewall to do some form of ethernet
bridging.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org