[clug] Fonts problem

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 15:56:01 GMT 2005

I'm currently running Fedora 3 on a laptop (Dell Inspiron 8600).  The
screen is a 15.4" widescreen and I am running it at 1200x800.  I have
two problems with X.  First, there is a persistent very thin white
line at the bottom of the screen.  I dual-boot Windows XP so I know it
is not something to do with the screen.  Also it only appears when X
is running.  Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this?  The second
problem is fonts.  I have the Windows Truetype fonts installed (though
these problems appear for both the Windows fonts and the fonts that
come with Linux).  I have anti-aliasing turned on and this problem
occurs for both Gnome and KDE.  Basically, the fonts look fuzzy.  As I
stare at the letters in this email in Firefox it seems that the
characters are two different shades of black.  It makes it tiring to
look at the screen.  The problem doesn't appear in Windows when I run
it at the same resolution.  This is probably the worse problem of the
two as the white line is bearable but the fuzzy fonts really do make
Fedora very difficult to use.

Thanks in advance for any help on these problems (esp. the second one).

Pearl