[clug] postgres setup

CBIT James jmcneill at canb.bentleys.com.au
Fri Sep 17 01:36:40 GMT 2004

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to set up a bug tracker, 'php bug tracker' to be precise
(http://phpbt.sourceforge.net/). To this end I have installed
postgresql, which seems to be running OK, but the install script cannot
connect to the db. I'm probably doing something elementerarily wrong,
since I've never set up postgres before. If anyone could help:

The database 'bugs' exists

www2:/etc/postgresql# psql bugs postgres

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

bugs=#

postgresql.conf is the debian package default, includes 'tcp_socket =
true'

pg_hba.conf is set to trust everything, I think. (I know that's stupid,
but it's for troubleshooting only)

host    all         all         0.0.0.0           0.0.0.0
trust
local   all         all
trust

postgres has the same db & user password

bugs=# alter user postgres with password 'ploki';
ALTER USER
bugs=#

www2:/etc/postgresql# passwd postgres
Enter new UNIX password: ploki
Retype new UNIX password: ploki
passwd: password updated successfully

all other config is debian standard (I have just done a fresh install of
sarge) yet the php script cannot connect.

Little help?

Tanks & kind regards,
-James