[clug] Using mod_proxy_connect for imaps

Edward C. Lang edlang at tsumakin.net
Fri Sep 17 04:05:37 GMT 2004

Hi,

Has anyone successfully used apache2's mod_proxy_connect as a reverse
proxy for something other than https? I'd like to use it to connect to
an imaps server, using TLS and SSL. I don't understand how (if any) port
redirection is defined in the module's configuration, nor what changes I
need to make to the client.

I've set up cyrus21-imapd to use TLS, and using imtest I can verify that
it works.

I've got the following configuration for apache2:

   ProxyRequests Off

   <Proxy *>
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
   </Proxy>

   AllowConnect 443 993 # https imaps

In ~/.muttrc on the imaps server, I used the following to reverify that
TLS is working:

# Mutt's IMAP configuration on IMAP server
set imap_user=edlang
set folder=imaps://localhost/
set spoolfile=imaps://localhost/INBOX

Which, of course, it does. However, when I try to connect to the apache2
server running the reverse proxy, it fails,

# Mutt's IMAP configuration not on the IMAP server:
set imap_user=edlang
set folder=imaps://imapserver:80/
set spoolfile=imaps://imapserver:80/INBOX

I see binary gar in the apache2 error log:

[Wed Sep xx xx:xx:xx 2004] [error] [client aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd] Invalid
method in request \x16\x03\x01

Mutt fails with the error:

gnutls_handshake: A record packet with illegal version was received.

Am I beating my head against a brick wall? Or is there a solution for
this problem?

Regards, and thanks in advance,

Edward.

--