[clug] Spreading the joy!

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 07:23:19 GMT 2004

Paul Warren wrote:

> Recently I did a debian install for a client.  I set the root password
> and promptly forgot it, before writing it down. a total mind blank, I
> still don't remember what I set it to.  I just restarted the install,
> wrote down the password, then set it :o)
>
> Now I'm administering this machine from 4 hours away.
>
> Another thing, this particular company didn't care about network
> security, their philosophy was that only employees can get into the
> building to access the Samba Share I set up, so they didn't want
> passwords protecting it!  I couldn't convince them that this was a "Bad
> Idea" TM.  and the customer is always right so i let it go
>
> anyone else seen this sort of thing, and what should I do about it?
>
> Cheers.

I'd get it in writing that you advised them to use passwords and they chose
not to. Get them to waive any liability to you for the consequences.

(note: IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer) - so this may not hold up in court. But
having them put it in writing will help them to clearly think through why
they want it that way).

Bob Edwards.