[clug] Spreading the joy!

Andrew Smith andrew at coolchilli.com
Wed Oct 27 00:39:11 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:50, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> I maintain a computer in Geelong (10 hours?), so I know the issue in
> general. I don't see, however, how flushing the rules could deny you
> access to the box you're maintaining (wouldn't it make it unprotected
> and therefore easier to access?).

Only if you reset policies to ACCEPT first, instead of leaving them as
DROP, I've done that one once or twice :)

I had a funny experience with a salesman back in my retail days.  Win95
had just come out and the fast-talking sales guy was showing Mum, Dad
and the 4 kids their new PC.  "It's got this recycle bin feature" he
says and madly clicks through My Computer, C:, Windows and drags the
system folder onto the bin icon, dutifully clicking ok on all the
warning dialogs that followed.  It wasn't until the system started
faulting that he explained "sometimes windows does this", and shortly
after rebooting realised his mistake.  The family went for coffee while
we re-imaged the drive, the sales guy never lived it down.

Andrew