[clug] Spreading the joy!

Nigel Cunningham ncunningham at linuxmail.org
Tue Oct 26 23:50:50 GMT 2004

Hi.

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 09:33, Peter Barker wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>
> > (lack of caffeine?!). Thankfully, I could just cat /proc/partitions and
> > then use fdisk to restore the data and rerun lilo. Haven't seen any
> > adverse effects yet!
>
> "we reboot for nobody"?

I could reboot safely after restoring the partition table (and have
done!).

> My most recent: brain outage - instead of a "/etc/init.d/iptables
> restart", doing an "iptables --flush".
>
> On a machine either a four hour drive or a rather embarassing phonecall
> away (which would /you/ take? :)

I maintain a computer in Geelong (10 hours?), so I know the issue in
general. I don't see, however, how flushing the rules could deny you
access to the box you're maintaining (wouldn't it make it unprotected
and therefore easier to access?).

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
Pastoral Worker

Everyone lives by faith. Some people just don't believe it.
Want proof? Try to prove that the theory of evolution is true.