[clug] adsl with pppoa and linux

Jim Watson jim at amarooas.com.au
Sun Oct 3 01:18:34 GMT 2004

Hi,

I was able to set up transact with pppoe but moving to a new location i need
to use adsl with pppoa.

i have followed the recent threads about broadband and also found some info
about pppoa but there are a couple of points i am not sure about. maybe
someone already using this in canberra can confirm if i have understood
things correctly?

my current setup with transact pppoe:

	line <--> settop box <--> linux pppoe, firewall, LAN

my proposed adsl with pppoa:

	line <--> modem <--> linux firewall, LAN

Will this work? if there is no client equivalent of pppoe then where will i
put the account name and password?  If it is configured in the modem, can i
do this with linux? Or do I need a special type of modem for linux, or need
use windows?

I suppose this has been answered already but somehow I cannot see these
specific points.

thanks

jim