[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Daniel McNamara daniel at codefish.net.au
Mon Mar 8 10:08:35 GMT 2004

Hi Michael and all,

I won't comment on who to use as provider (as I work for one and don't
want to be seen as being biased) but on the topic of ADSL in Gungahlin,
yes you should be able to get it. However if you are knocked back your
potential provider should be able to ask Telstra to give you a
transposition if possible. Basically the transpose the line coming into
your house with another (hopefully ADSL friendly) line pair. This is
mainly aimed at helping those stuck on pair gain but also useful for
those with who get knocked back on "excessive transmission" loss which
can mean a number of things ranging from distance from the exchange to
just having a really bad line.

As for ADSL with linux, it's a cake walk. Very easy to do. I personally
prefer a router (yah for a little black box to do the work for me) but
running PPPoE on a linux box these days is extremely easy (as no doubt
any number of the subscribers to this list will tell you).

Cheers

Daniel