[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Mon Mar 8 12:26:14 GMT 2004

Despite the bad press they got when they bought out Webone, IInet aren't
bad.  Their helpdesk people are poor, and just 'follow the script', but
their technical people are still pretty good.

And given the rate at which they are buying other ISPs, you'll probably
end up with them, no matter who you choose :)

$80 per month for 32 Gb - 16 peak + 16 off peak.

However a friend is with another Canberra ISP and gets unlimited for
$80.  I can't remember which one though, or I'd recommend them.

As for hardware, I second the suggestions about black box routers.  You
plug 'em in, connect to their webpage, type in your username/password
and boom! you're online.  Sure beats stuffing around with iptables (not
that it isn't a great product, bow scrape).

Got my 4-port 'Billion BIPAC-5100' for about $110.  Works like a charm.
In fact, it works better than a charm, being as how charms don't work
and all....