[clug] LONG - Anti Spam Laws (Spam Act 2003) - a simple outline.

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Mon Jun 28 00:16:47 GMT 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

> 7. Address harvesting bots:
>
> The Act makes if illegal to produce, sell or use address harvesting
> software.
> The Act makes it illegal to buy or use address harvesting software
> The Act makes it illegal to buy or use address lists that are produced
> by address harvesting software.

I hope the law itself is a little tighter in its definitions here. Things
like the phrase "primary purpose", that sort of thing.

Otherwise, a small stretch of the imagination would make wget --spider a
dangerous thing to think about. Especially if you were to use that
uber-terrorist tool "grep". I've even heard rumours of groups using that
weapon-of-mass-reduction, 'sed' to further their perverted causes.

> Tomasz Ciolek

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\