[clug] Linux on the 12" PowerBook

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Thu Jun 24 07:34:07 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 05:33:49AM +0200, Andreas Bauer said
> Dear Clugers,
>
> I'm currently in the US and found Apple's laptops to be substantial
> cheaper than they are in Germany (or Australia).  In particular, I
> fell for the 12" aluminium PowerBook, but heard it's a pain to install
> Linux on it.
>
> In particular, I want to be sure that external VGA works before I make
> a purchase, suspend would be nice, too.  I know, Airport support isn't
> likely to happen anytime soon...  Is there a WLAN replacement for the
> Aiport which is supported under Linux?

I just bought a Netgear MA-111 USB wireless thingy for my 12" iBook G4,
and it works great with the linux-wlan-ng drivers.  prism2_usb is the
one.  I'm writing this from Valentino's at the moment, no less.  I'll be
at clug with said usb thing if you want to ask me about it or see it in
action or anything.

-rob

--
Words of the day:  quiche SHA quarter Manfurov counter intelligence mania Yukon