[clug] Linux Router

Duncan Bolt duncan.bolt at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 23 01:46:25 GMT 2004

Well has anyone got it to work ?

And on what distribution etc ?
I chose smoothwall, because it was supported with security fixes, and
it was easy to setup. But I can put on mandrake or something to
create a family server if needed.

I basically want to use it to record programs. There are a few
cartoons on Cartoon Network at odd times, that I would record to
watch with my boys, eg XMen, Justice League ie Superhero action
things.

Also TCM does have the occasional interesting movie on at a weird time.
I also like to potter round in my study with TV (discovery H&L,
Discovery Science or Animal Planet) on in the background. But like
you say if there is anything I really want to watch, then I go to the
lounge room, sit in the comfy chair in front of the big screen. But
sometimes the big telly is used by someone else, so I watch TV in the
study on 17"CRT.

I don't think TRANSACT is the most cost effective broadband, but it
has a number of nice add ons which make it worth it.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
transact-erx.ne *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
1.1.1.0         *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
default         transact-erx.ne 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

smoothwall does not seem to include any man pages so it is getting
irritating....

Once I get this working I will have to go to the next project.
Working out a set top box equivalent for the old telly in the bedroom.

End of Financial Year XBoxes are back to $220

--

Duncan Bolt
IT Officer