[clug] Linux Router

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 12:03:32 GMT 2004

On 2004 Jun 21, , at 5:16 PM, Duncan Bolt wrote:
> We are planning on setting up a linux router in between the rest of
> the network and our small group of Alphas.
>
> So we want to be able to move large data sets to the alphas. So we
> would like the router to be fast.

?? How fast?

> What sort of network cards should we use ?
>
> Would a 400 MHz celeron with a pair of rtl8139 cards be fast enough ?

rtl8139 I think are not as fast as and use more cpu resources than say
intel eepro100.  If you're talking about 100 Mb ethernet the realtek
might be fast enough, it depends on how much work the processors are
doing - like say how many iptables rules each packet has to traverse.

Memory is important too.

If you want fast you have to go to Gb cards, PCIX/64

--
Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961