[clug] Linux Router

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Mon Jun 21 13:18:00 GMT 2004

Kim Holburn wrote:

> On 2004 Jun 21, , at 5:16 PM, Duncan Bolt wrote:
>
>> We are planning on setting up a linux router in between the rest of
>> the network and our small group of Alphas.
>>
>> So we want to be able to move large data sets to the alphas. So we
>> would like the router to be fast.
>

> ?? How fast?
>
>> What sort of network cards should we use ?
>>
>> Would a 400 MHz celeron with a pair of rtl8139 cards be fast enough ?

My machine is an Athlon/1200MHz
My other machine is a Duron/600MHz
Both use a cheap rtl8139 based NIC

FTP get a CD image:
	733902848 bytes received in 63.95 secs (11207.0 kB/s)
Then put it back:
	733902848 bytes sent in 73.62 secs (9734.5 kB/s)
Both machine used 35-45% cpu during the transfers.

No IP filtering active, but this process would take the same
amount of cpu regardless of the NIC, right?

Hope this gives some idea of what to expect.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky		(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)