[clug] Free Lossless Audio Codec

David david.collett at dart.net.au
Wed Jun 16 14:39:42 GMT 2004

Hi all,
I have been using flac for a few years now to backup my CD collection.
To give you a real world example of the compression, I wrote a little
program to calculate some statistics, the results are:

albums: 334
uncompressed bytes: 181292672736
compressed bytes: 117164817673
best: 0.439121(Kyuss - And the Circus Leaves Town.flac)
worst: 0.768185(Green Day - Insomniac.flac)
avg comp: 0.646274

(The uncompressed size is an approximation based on no. of samples *
bits per sample) actual uncompressed size may be a bit larger due to wav
headers etc)

Average compression ratio is around 0.65, not quite as good as 2:1, but
still saves me >60GB as you can see.

I flac my cd's to a single file per cd, with the cd toc (cuesheet)
embedded in the file as a metadata block(storing the cuesheet in
metadata is a standard feature of the reference flac encoder). To play
the files, I use a basic GTK virtual cd-player application which I wrote
myself, however I plan to add 'multiple tracks per file' support for
flac files into gstreamer when I get time, then rhythmbox, the goal is
to be able to import my flac CD files into RB, and have them show up as
multiple individual tracks, just as though they were individual MP3/OGG
files.

PS. I also wrote a fairly complete python wrapper for the flac C API
last weekend (swig rocks!) if anyone is interested, It allows you to
write a flac player in just a few lines of python. It also makes
metadata editing (eg, vorbis comments) very easy.

Dave