[clug] Free Lossless Audio Codec

Nemo nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed Jun 16 08:53:31 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:07:22PM +1000, Michael James did utter:
> Anyone played with FLAC?
>
> Claims to get almost 2:1 compression of wav file without loss.
> At about 3 CDs / Gig it's viable for holding a CD library.
>
> I tried ripping and compressing a CD with grip,
>  it gives me a bunch of .flac files with sensible sizes
>  but I can't seem to play them with XMMS
>  or anything else (noatun) for that matter.

Note that as part of the Ogg family, you can embed flac data within a
.ogg container, which I believe grants it some benefits. (probably the
most usefull being the availability of all the ogg handling tools (not
to be confused with the vorbis handling tools, which historically seem
to have been called ogg* :/

Whatever the case, I'd be curious to know what sort of compressions
you're getting, and what metadata system you're using, seeing as I'm
vaguelly planning the same sort of thing a little down the track myself.

.../nemo