[clug] stream TransACT - to file this time

Tony and Robyn Lewis beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 6 11:19:11 GMT 2004

I'm pondering the best way to manually use the PC as a small-time VCR,
recording a transact stream to be later played back.

To view real-time, I use xine.  Have used vlc and I think mplayer as
well.  None of these seem to have a write-to-file option.

Considered using tcpdump or tethereal to record the stream, and then
tcpreplay to get it back, but then I need to send the IGMP membership
packet that starts the process.  I'd rather not waste all that CPU grunt
decoding it when I'm not watching it.

Any more elegant solutions?  For now, it's the VCR :-)

Tony Lewis