[clug] Error compiling network driver

Simon Haddon simon at sibern.com.au
Mon Jul 5 22:57:43 GMT 2004

Dennis M Gray wrote:

>I'm running a box with RH7.1 and required another NIC,
>which I purchased from Dick Smith. I couldn't find
>support for it in my kernel, although there is a file
>8139too.o. I tried modprobe and got a number of error
>messages so decided to just compile from Donald
>Becker's source.

If your card is an 8139 then you should have no problems.  I have 7.1
installed on a server and I have the 8139too modules as part of the
standard modules installed. I was running kernel 2.4.9 and am currently
running 2.4.20 and both are fine.

The only thing that I can think of is that your card is not an rtl8139
but one of those funny chipsets that are really an SiS 900 but look like
an RTL.

What does lspci say?