[clug] Error compiling network driver

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Mon Jul 5 11:23:43 GMT 2004

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 08:22:40PM -0700, Dennis M Gray said
> I'm running a box with RH7.1 and required another NIC,
> which I purchased from Dick Smith. I couldn't find
> support for it in my kernel, although there is a file
> 8139too.o. I tried modprobe and got a number of error
> messages so decided to just compile from Donald
> Becker's source.

What error messages?  Realtek 8139's are probably the most popular cheap
NIC chipset in the world, I'd be pretty confident any distro would
support it out-of-the-box.  If you're using a 2.2 kernel, it will be
called rtl8139, btw.

> I did this once before successfully for an old 3COM
> card (under RH 6.2, I believe) but it has been a long
> time and I am getting the following errors when trying
> to compile.
>
> [root at loge netdrivers]# gcc -DMODULE -Wall
> -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c
> rtl8139.c
> In file included from rtl8139.c:102:
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules
> should never use
> kernel-headers system headers,
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but
> headers from an
> appropriate kernel-source
> [root at loge netdrivers]#

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  It's trying to use the glibc headers
to build a kernel module...I'm no kernel dude, but I don't think that's
been cool in a long time.  If you hack the source file to point at
/usr/src/linux/ or wherever your kernel source (that your kernel was
built in...modversions.h is made at build time, it won't exist in a
freshly untar'd kernel source tree) is.

But, as I said, I have a hard time believing that RH doesn't come with
this driver already.

--
Words of the day:              Majic Crypto AG CESID BRLO Ruby Ridge NWO INSCOM