[clug] Cheap TiVos?

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Fri Jan 23 05:38:51 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 12:02, Aaron Smith wrote:
> I'm interested but haven't done enough homework to commit yet.
>
> Does using a TiVo require a subscription or do you get PVR use without
> paying TiVo fees?

The Aussie TiVo distro automatically points to tivo.samba.org for its
programme info - provided by Tridge who is also a user and thus likely
to notice errors in the ACT guide.

> Do these TiVo's support 240V power?

not sure but Tridge didn't mention a problem. I imagine a switchmode PSU
like a PC, just add the right power cord.

> How hard is the NTSC to PAL mod to perform?

http://www.9thtee.com/insidetivo.htm

As Tridge explained it to me, you remove the existing tuner (metal can
in front left) and add another one somewhere in the case. If you're
lucky I suppose it might fit where the old one was. Then there is a lot
of wiring and figuring out what goes where, which is why I would try to
get us all using a known good model so the more advanced hardware
hackers can help everyone else. I suppose you could have two tuners and
switch between them if desired, and it might not be much harder. We'll
have to ask Tridge about that. It might be a matter of switching the
outputs via a relay (solid state?) and redirecting the I2C bus, but
again I haven't seen the schematics or anything so it's speculation
only.

> What do you mean by "let the TiVo control your VCR"?

It knows how to output IR signals to your VCR and use it as the tuner.
Tridge has an external IR module taped onto his VCR and plugging into
the back of his TiVo.

> Why is the sky blue?

You can look that up in an optics textbook!

> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

Have fun,
Darren