[clug] Help - Asus i440BX BIOS?

grail at goldweb.com.au grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Jan 20 04:50:51 GMT 2004

I'm at my wit's end... I have a dual processor (socket 7) motherboard,
made by Asus, with the Intel i440BX chipset.

The BIOS only identifies itself as 07/16/99 i440BX-P2B-DS

Does anyone have a more recent BIOS available (or can you point me to a
link to the BIOS) for this motherboard?

I don't know what's happened in the last year or so, but it seems that the
only sites supplying Award BIOS updates want me to pay for them to burn
the BIOS to a ROM and ship it out to me - what's the deal with that?

As a side note, the reason I want to upgrade is because
1) The BIOS crashes when trying to autodetect my 80GB HDD
2) The BIOS crashes when I try to manually configure the C/H/S for the
drive (as in, when I type the numbers in, the hardware locks up
completely!)
3) I can't get UDMA to work in any way shape or form (easiest thing to
explain: "using_dma" setting doesn't stick) - I haven't managed to fry my
hardware using hdparm yet, but I'm trying really hard!

Does anyone still sell dual processor socket 7 motherboards?  Guess that's
one option...

Regards
Alex Satrapa