[clug] SVG to EPS converter

Edgecombe, Scott Scott.Edgecombe at AirservicesAustralia.com
Tue Jan 20 02:43:35 GMT 2004

The following has the W3C list of implementations for SVG.

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-Implementations.htm8

In my current project we are doing an SVG/XML based content system with
generation to PDF and PS using XSL:FO. We looked at FOP from Apache but
its implementation is incomplete. We ended up using a proprietary tool
called XEP from RenderX ($5K US). Bit pricey for personal use.

If you have good XSL skills you may want to write and SVG to PS XSL and
open Source it.

BTW. I like and use Sodipodi a lot, but you can also use something like
AMAYA if your not married to WYSIWYG.

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Palmer [mailto:Doug.Palmer at csiro.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 20 January 2004 10:16 AM
To: CLUG
Subject: [clug] SVG to EPS converter

I've been thinking about transferring my allegiance from the venerable
xfig to something a little more modern. I'm rather attracted to sodipodi
but it stores drawings in native SVG (good) and only exports to PNG
(bad). Since I use LaTeX a lot, I'm interested in converting to EPS. I'm
generally wary of the 'Print to a Postscript file' approach, since it
usually involves removing artefacts to do with notions of pages,
backgrounds and such-like.

I would have thought that there would be trillions of SVG->EPS command
line tools. However, all I can find is Postscript to SVG converters.

Does anybody know of (a) any conversion tools or (b) reasons why
SVG->EPS is impossible? (I know that WMF to EPS conversion is a royal
pain -- see wmf2eps -- so I'm prepared to believe that there is some
deep technical problem.)