[clug] Help - Asus i440BX BIOS?

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue Jan 20 11:28:55 GMT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 grail at goldweb.com.au wrote:

> I'm at my wit's end... I have a dual processor (socket 7) motherboard,
> made by Asus, with the Intel i440BX chipset.

> The BIOS only identifies itself as 07/16/99 i440BX-P2B-DS

I have one of these beasties.

> Does anyone have a more recent BIOS available (or can you point me to a
> link to the BIOS) for this motherboard?

I /think/ the "1.07" release is what I'm running. The thing's my file
server, so I'm not going to reboot it for you :)

> 1) The BIOS crashes when trying to autodetect my 80GB HDD
> 2) The BIOS crashes when I try to manually configure the C/H/S for the
> drive (as in, when I type the numbers in, the hardware locks up
> completely!)

Have you reduced the number of cylinders?

> 3) I can't get UDMA to work in any way shape or form (easiest thing to
> explain: "using_dma" setting doesn't stick) - I haven't managed to fry my
> hardware using hdparm yet, but I'm trying really hard!

I've got it using udma2. Still dog slow, though.

> Does anyone still sell dual processor socket 7 motherboards?  Guess that's
> one option...

They've always been expensive.

Now. Not much of this helps you so far.

What /may/ help is that I /have/ flashed the bios on this machine so it
could support the blanzingly-fast dual-550's I put on it a few years back.

For the life of me, I can't find that patch again :/

And! I've just located some stuff.

In fact, it is "1.12"

--
/mnt/raid/data/docs/hardware/firmwares/asus
/mnt/raid/data/docs/hardware/firmwares/asus/aflash.exe

So if you google for bxds1012.zip, we can do this /without/ violating
copyrights :) (http://www.raimar.com.ar/drivers/bios.html might help)

> Alex Satrapa

This stream of barely-conciousness brought to you by:
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\