[clug] Powerbook G4

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Wed Dec 1 09:20:26 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:32:45AM +1100, Fergus McKenzie-Kay wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> I'm looking into a nice shiny Powerbook G4.. not really sure about the
> size yet.  Does anyone in Canberra have a nice linux setup on one of
> the new powerbooks?
> I've had a bit of a google and it looks like the suspend-to-ram is not
> working, though this might have recently changed:
> http://www.ppcnerds.org/Article218.html
>
> Is everything else working?  It looks like the wireless card might not
> be supported yet either.. but it's easy enough to stick in a PCMCIA
> card.. that's not a big worry. As long as the most useful things are
> working that's all I'm after.
>
> Anyone with experiences let me know.. at this stage it looks like the
> 15inch is the best choice for linux support.
>
> btw.. on a similar vain are there any knoppix style disks for ppc?  I
> read a while ago about some yellowdog disk but it was unclear as to if
> it works as nicely as knoppix on x86 does.

I've got a 15" PowerBook, and I was disappointed by the lack of support for
the onboard wireless card, and subsequently got corrupted by MacOS X and am
more or less happily running MacOS X on it instead. I was intending to make
it primarily a Linux laptop until I discovered how badly Linux supported it,
and how nice MacOS X was. I feel so dirty...

But my work Dell D600 runs Linux very nicely indeed, except I have to get
software suspension working...

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux
April 18th to 23rd   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -       LINUX