[clug] Consume But Don't Try Programming [was viva la DMCA? [was:Against US-AU FTA Intellectual Property Clauses]]

david howe david at qednet.biz
Sun Apr 11 23:46:39 GMT 2004

Disclaimer - I havent read the entire free trade agreement.

But on the face of it, when deals are struck the end result is usually a
reflection of the power of the parties and their ability to influence
the final outcome. An agreement between parties of such unequal power
(as would describe USA and Australia) is bound to have terms and
conditions that are more beneficial to the stonger party.

The defensiveness of the Australian government on this issue only adds
weight to my thoughts that this is an agreement that is not in our
national interests on any level and will simply speed up the process of
our economic and cultural absorption by the US.

david