[clug] CLUG meeting 25 September 2003

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Tue Sep 23 17:07:04 EST 2003

Darren Freeman said:
> I want to hear about rapid prototyping of relatively portable GUI apps.
>
> I am hoping to get the same functionality in my lab that others have
> when using VB or VC++. Preferably in C++ or Python.

Hi Darren,

You can rule out free-as-in-beer solutions for Python.  I've recently
tried them all and they're no good.  No offense to the authors intended,
this is just my opinion comparing what I've experienced with them to what
I've seen of Visual MS-Paint Studio.NET
The best I've come across so far has been ActiveState's Komodo [1] which
provides a cross-platform and cross-language IDE with a GUI Builder.  If
you like IDE's you may like Komodo.
If I wasn't interstate during meeting times I'd demo it before my trial
key runs out ;)
[1] http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

--
Matt