[clug] Module loading question

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Sat May 17 22:35:54 EST 2003

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 11:30:43AM +0000, james canberra wrote:
> Two related questions : one general and one specific thanks.
>
> General : where can I find some doco on how to set up my Mandrake 9.1
> system to load modules at boot time? I'm sure this is hugely obvious, but a
> google search didn't leave me any wiser, and fiddling around didn't seem to
> help...

In debian it /etc/modules. I'm sure Mandrake has something similar.

> Specific : I want to load agpgart for Manrake 9.1 at boot time. This is
> because although X works fine, the Maelstrom game which I waste time on
> from time to time doesn't work well unless I do this.
> If I as root boot into runlevel 3 and do this :
> /sbin/insmod agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
> startx

Look at /etc/modules.conf. At least in debian you can add it by creating a
file /etc/modutils/mine and add the line:

options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

and run update-modules. That way when you use modprobe (but not insmod IIRC)
the option is added automatically.

> Then all is fine and Maelstrom works (running as root). But if I load the
> module as root then logon as a user, it doesn't work :-( And I'd like to
> boot straight to X and have it all set up for me every time rather than do
> it manually.
>
> And I'd like to load it with the switch "agp_try_unsupported=1" at boot
> time so it works as a user.
>
> Note that I don't really understand what agpgart does so all of the above
> might be very confused....

Not sure why it would have problems as a user, that indicates a permission
problem elsewhere. Anyway, the above should get the module loaded for you.

> Also related, I saw somewhere that there is a switch to make AGP run at 4
> speed, any suggestions there?

No idea.

Hope this helps,

--