[clug] Module loading question

james canberra james_canberra at hotmail.com
Sat May 17 21:30:43 EST 2003

Two related questions : one general and one specific thanks.

General : where can I find some doco on how to set up my Mandrake 9.1 system
to load modules at boot time? I'm sure this is hugely obvious, but a google
search didn't leave me any wiser, and fiddling around didn't seem to help...

Specific : I want to load agpgart for Manrake 9.1 at boot time. This is
because although X works fine, the Maelstrom game which I waste time on from
time to time doesn't work well unless I do this.
If I as root boot into runlevel 3 and do this :
/sbin/insmod agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
startx

Then all is fine and Maelstrom works (running as root). But if I load the
module as root then logon as a user, it doesn't work :-( And I'd like to
boot straight to X and have it all set up for me every time rather than do
it manually.

And I'd like to load it with the switch "agp_try_unsupported=1" at boot time
so it works as a user.

Note that I don't really understand what agpgart does so all of the above
might be very confused....

Also related, I saw somewhere that there is a switch to make AGP run at 4
speed, any suggestions there?

Thanks in advance,
James