[clug] sorting /var/mail/$USERNAME ?

Nemo -earth native- nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Wed May 7 22:12:22 EST 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 01:18:34PM +0200, Andreas Bauer did utter:
> On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 08:31:39PM +1000, Nemo -earth native- wrote:
> > My /var/mail is similarly NFS mounted, but I run the appropriate
> > procmail filters on the server it's NFS mounted from...
>
> And then, how do you get those independent mail boxes into your local
> mail client?  The problem is, if I filter on the server, I end up with
> several files in $HOME that is not mounted anywhere but on the server.

/home/ is also NFS served and mounted appropriately.

100mbit switched network between server and client, and to test...
6.8 seconds for mutt to open a 25meg mbox file with 1250 messages.
2.5 seconds on the second round with the file cached.

...I'm sure I could get better performance with a local /home/, and I'm
sure I'm risking some nasty theoretical mbox corruption too. But it's
fast enough for me, and I've corrupted nothing yet. :)

.../Nemo