Debian testing - where do I get it?

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Thu Mar 20 22:46:35 EST 2003

On 2003.03.20 10:11 Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 08:01 , Michael Still wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>>
>>> Having been advised that my current setup (RH 7.1) is well and truly
>>> obsolete, do I wait for Debian 3.1?
>>
>> Well, from my understanding on the Debian world is that there is no
>> need
>> to ever wait. I would do something like this (assuming infinite
>> bandwidth):
>
> I think you missed the important part of Felix' question:
>
>>> I really cannot face downloads from the Net of 40-60 Mb in order to
>>> get more recent versions of the kernel and XFree86 - even if it is
>>> a trivial exercise for people with 24-hour broadband access.
>
> So in Felix' case he'd need someone to supply a very fresh copy of
> the packages that make up Testing.  Then he'd still be facing about
> 40Mb/week to keep current.

These numbers are a little out of proportion somehow.  I update once a
week or fortnight, and it doesn't take too long - 30mins for the update
and usually under two hours for the packages.  Except when a big change
comes through and you have to download the whole lot.

But apt-get can resume downloading from where you left off.  Just break
out of the download, and the next time you start, you'll start in the
middle of the package you were last downloading.

Also, you don't have to update the whole lot in one go.  Dependencies
allowing, you can update any package you download through apt.  As
mentioned above, you can abort after downloading a few packages, and
then allow apt to just update what you downloaded.

I speak from experience here - I'm on a dial-up line, and I easily stay
abreast of unstable.