Debian testing - where do I get it?

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Thu Mar 20 23:15:45 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:46:35PM +1100, Jepri wrote:
> On 2003.03.20 10:11 Alex Satrapa wrote:

> >>Well, from my understanding on the Debian world is that there is no
> >>need
> >>to ever wait. I would do something like this (assuming infinite
> >>bandwidth):
> >
> >I think you missed the important part of Felix' question:

> >So in Felix' case he'd need someone to supply a very fresh copy of
> >the packages that make up Testing.  Then he'd still be facing about
> >40Mb/week to keep current.
>

> These numbers are a little out of proportion somehow.  I update once a
> week or fortnight, and it doesn't take too long - 30mins for the update
> and usually under two hours for the packages.  Except when a big change
> comes through and you have to download the whole lot.

I think Alex is confusing testing with unstable here - tracking
unstable can easily be ~50MB per update, whether you update daily or
weekly. Testing is a lot less extreme, in my experience, and you can
generally get away with following a lot less closely: updating once
a week or even less should be fine, unless you happen to be looking
at a really major change like the recent move to gcc-3.2.

For Felix's needs, testing is probably almost ideal - you get all
the benefits of Debian, the up-to-dateness of the other distros, and
keeping up with the updates shouldn't be too hard on the bandwidth.

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or http://himi.org/stuff/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://himi.org