My Debian experience so far

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Tue Mar 11 04:58:32 EST 2003

Well, once I took the plunge, installing Debian was not really all that hard,
although it definitely helped that I knew how configure some of my hardware
'by hand' - although I believe there are a couple of hardware detection
packages available for Debian, they are just no installed as a matter of
course.

The plusses: I love apt.  apt-get install this, apt-get install that.  It is
great.  I'm not sure I could ever go back to a rpm based distro.

The minuses: Woody is too old, and Sid is, well, currently broken.  Not badly
broken.  Only a very little really.  Unfortunately, Kmail has been
uninstallable in Sid for at least 31 days now, and I *really* like Kmail.
Due to the wonders of apt, I have tried out several other email clients, but
I still like Kmail the best.  I'm currently running it in a RedHat machine
installed under VMWare.

Being new to Debian, I have no idea if this kind of delay in getting 'grave'
bugs fixed in Sid normal or not.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky and hit a
bad time to have my first unstable Debian experience.

I am extremely reluctant to go back to Woody (and then get the unofficial KDE
3.1 Woody backport) as there are a number of other packages I also want from
Sid.

Perhaps my search for the perfect Linux distribution continues....

Cheers,

Rasjid.