compressed partitions

Jepri jepri at webone.com.au
Tue Mar 11 01:56:25 EST 2003

On 2003.03.10 23:14 Jonathan wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to do a compressed partition under linux
> (debian specifically?), or more conveniently something like in NTFS
> where you can flag a directory as compressed.

You can't have a compressed partition exactly, due to problems with
files where you can't predict the length when you save them to disc.

However you can get automatic compressed files.  Some network
filesystems have been patched to offer compressed files, or you can use
zlibc, which is a debian package and will transparently compress files.