[clug] samba password

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 10:39:08 EST 2003

You've just discovered that Win98 is crap. Sorry.

Win9x assumes that the username to connect as should be the one you
logged in as. No way to connect as a different user, AFAIK. Not even
anonymous.

So whatever user you logged into the Win98 machine as, that user should
be added to Samba with a password. You add them to smbusers as a mapping
from that name to a valid Linux user, and then use smbpasswd -a to add a
password for the Linux user.

Darren