[clug] Re: SCO copyright registration

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 19:29:35 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 17:30, James McNeill wrote:
> I personally wouldn't mind paying $6 for pizza again, and spending that
> excess cash that we had sitting round on as many blank CDs as possible. what
> are they ... 30c these days?

For a decent brand like Ricoh I can get wholesale price of around $20
for 50. For a cheaper brand... ? We should start producing CDs ASAP but
also look into sources of more funding than just what's left over from
pizza.. after all what we're doing is donating our time into the CDs, it
would be nice if a company paid for the CDs or some other aspect of the
event.

I would be happy enough to feed a burner for a little while during my
working day spent in front of a computer, but I'm changing jobs shortly
so maybe not practical right now.

> I like this idea of giving out CDs. Generosity & community spirit is at the
> core of OSS.
>
> Perhaps giving out CDs of Open Office, Mozilla etc. as well.

IMHO people who need application CDs already know enough about GNU/Linux
to look after themselves (such as attending CLUG meetings and burning
their own copies). What needs to be spread must be a) only one CD per
person, and b) be self-contained.

Knoppix is the go as far as I'm concerned, being able to go home and
boot off the CD to a KDE desktop with auto-probed hardware and network,
and run Mozilla and OpenOffice, all from the one boot CD, is a powerful
thing indeed ;) Especially when you can then install to hard disc on top
of a windoze partition without risking the existing setup. If you can
get somebody to that point and they're not into playing commercial
games, you've probably got them convinced enough to get a copy of
another distro.

> > I think there's plenty we could talk about during and after the pizza,
> > just on this topic alone.
> less talk. more soap.

eh? maybe I'm being a little dense but I don't get it

> -James

Have fun,
Darren