[clug] VIA rhine ethernet

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Mon Jul 7 12:09:18 EST 2003

Hi,

Anyone out there using a machine with a VIA Ethernet chipset?

I'm having issues with a couple of

http://www.everythinglinux.com.au/item/ELS1802

that are being used as firewalls. The onboard Ethernet is a VIA Rhine2
using the via-rhine kernel module.

I've tried with 2.4.18 and 2.4.20, and under load with large packets, I
can repeatedly make the interface lock up. I've been doing flood pings
with > 1500 byte packets from the machine itself and you get all manner of
netdev watchdog timeouts and interface not resetting in 10ms etc etc.

I've been able to reproduce this on two of the above machines. Just
wondering if anyone else out there has one they can try a flood ping with
large packets on, or if anyone knows if this is a known issue and they're
generally of shite quality and shouldn't be used for anything terribly
intensive or mission critical.

Andrew