[clug] VIA rhine ethernet

Andreas Bauer baueran at in.tum.de
Mon Jul 7 23:27:38 EST 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:09:18PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:

> I've tried with 2.4.18 and 2.4.20, and under load with large packets, I
> can repeatedly make the interface lock up. I've been doing flood pings
> with > 1500 byte packets from the machine itself and you get all manner of
> netdev watchdog timeouts and interface not resetting in 10ms etc etc.

Disable APIC by adding it as kernel boot argument ("noapic").  This will
solve your hickups.  I've had a similar issue with via-rhine before.
Also, you could try downloading the commercial via driver.  However, I
don't think it's very different from the open source one...

Andi.

--
(o_  Andreas Bauer, baueran at in.tum.de, http://www4.in.tum.de/~baueran/
//\  "An algorithm must be seen to be believed." -- Donald Knuth