Windows and Linux Probs

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sun Feb 23 11:43:06 EST 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 3:38 am, Garrett Rogers wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using Linux Mandrake 9.0.  Samba is working fine, I can see my other
> Windoews 2000 system fine.  But On the 2k system I can see a workgroup
> called Mdrgroup, I am assuming that it is my linux box.  How can I see the
> linux box on the 2k system? I also dont know how to share my printer in
> linxu.  The pritner is on the linux box and i want to share it with the 2k
> system.  Do you have any suggestions.  Thanks.

My suggestion would be to configure your samba system, which I'm guessing has
not been done since the workgroup is still set to 'Mdrgroup'.

I don't run Mandrake, by I assume that it has SWAT running on
http://localhost:901.  If not, enable SWAT.  Under RedHat, you need to edit
/etc/xinit.d/swat.  Not sure about Mandrake.

Once in SWAT (login to SWAT as root) configure the workgroup. (It is under the
Globals section).  The SWAT utility comes with extensive inbuilt online
documentation.  Read it.

If you have any further questions, I suggest posting to samba at lists.samba.org,
as that is the correct list for samba related questions.  However, I suggest
reading the posting guidelines at
http://au1.samba.org/samba/ml-etiquette.html (or some closer mirror) first.

Cheers,

Rasjid.