[clug] Debian installer with e1000 driver?

James McNeill j at jamesm.id.au
Tue Dec 16 22:21:11 GMT 2003

I recently had a similar problem with a different NIC. I ended up using
knoppix 3.3 (has a much newer kernel, and all the hardware worked perfectly)
to do a base install and then got the rest off the network afterwards.

> it printed a screen of "01"'s, and stalled.
is that the LILO error? as in, when you boot the system it looks at the hd
MBR and then prints a billion "01"s and then falls in a heap?

if so, the quickest way to fix this is to use the linear option when
installing LILO. The first thing you'll have to do is reboot your system
using a rescue disk. Then, run the LILO command as follows:

/sbin/lilo -l

or you can just move over to GRUB.

if that's any use to you.
regards,