[clug] routing advice needed

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 3 09:58:53 GMT 2003

At 8:43 PM +1100 2003/12/03, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:34:59PM +1100, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> At 8:25 PM +1100 2003/12/03, Michael Manning wrote:
>
>> All the IPs here are "real".  I want one internal subnet to connect
>> to the remote subnet through the VPN as a peer and the other to see
>> the remote subnet from the outside.  It's not that unusual is it?
>
>But why? It IS a *very* unusual type of a thing to do...

I have a company here on this subnet that want to connect to a remote branch but on this subnet a separate company with no connection.  Why is this unusual?

>By doing that you effectively circumvented the VPN and any security its
>supposed to supply... Not to mention the fact that you can create
>routing nightmare that will be VERY HARD to debug when things go
>wrong...

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)