[clug] OT: Webone

Burn Alting burn at goldweb.com.au
Thu Aug 21 11:33:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 11:19, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 07:47, Brett Worth wrote:
> > Our company ADSL stopped authenticating with their end.  I "guessed" they
> > must have switched the domain from webone.com.au to iinet.net.au.  That's
> > the only reason I'm connected now.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up on that one Brett. I'll watch for that when our
> link next restarts. I'd have hoped that they would make some attempt to
> inform people of what was about to happen in advance. Business customers
> at the least have some expectation of reliable service, and this is NOT
> it.
>
> I haven't tried contacting their helpline, as I was already heading
> strongly in the direction of changing providers. Yesterdays fun and
> excitement just pushed me to the point of making a definite decision to
> do so rather than wait it out and see if they got better.
>
> For what its worth, yesterday we were seeing a significant percentage
> (about 75%) of our DNS queries just getting lost. Once the DNS resolved
> there didn't seem to be an appreciable delay. I'm also guessing that
> email to us wasn't making it through, given that there have been a few
> posts to this list dated yesterday that only showed up in my inbox this
> morning.
>
> So, anyone got any recommendations either for or against any ADSL ISP's.
> Particular preference to ones that understand that not everyone uses M$
> product. Since this is even more OT then the rest of the Webone
> discussion, this probably should go to personal emails.
>
> Conrad.

Conrad,

I've been running off Goldweb's ADSL service since it started and after
I got the login stuff squared away, I've had no problems whatsoever ....
well, the very occasional line drop, but my firewall box restarts
straight away, and who knows where/why line drops occur.

And Goldweb is essentially a Linux shop from my point of view.

Regards
Burn Alting (aka happy Goldweb customer)