[clug] Help Needed - peercast relays and local music

John Griffiths johnboy at the-riotact.com
Fri Apr 11 12:21:39 EST 2003

Another point on this issue that occurs to me,

and that those working in, or operating, ISP's might like to consider,

Peercast seems to offer netmask filtering that (i could be wrong) should
let ISPs allow relaying only within their own network.

So any ISPs out there that get onboard would be able to contribute at
very little cost to themselves, and offer a pretty nifty service to
their subscribers.

alternatively they could relay it as a straight shoutcast stream within
their network only.

Huge thanks to those who've expressed interest so far.

I'm aiming to get all interested parties together next week sometime and
establish a special purpose mailing list for this project.

An FM 104 producer has offered the use of 104 studios, but I'm not sure
he'll be able to deliver on that one.

Thanks all for your interest,

I promise to take this off the CLUG list soon.

John

Michael Still wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, John Griffiths wrote:
>

>>What I'm after right now is expressions of interest from anyone willing
>>to host a relay for a 30Kbs Ogg stream.
>

> Can you give us a hint as to what is involved in relaying a stream? Is it
> disk intensive, network intensive?
>
> Mikal

- --

"I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The
greatest evil is not now done in those sordid "dens of
crime" that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in
concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its
final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved,
seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed
and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars
and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need
to raise their voices. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol
for Hell is something like the bureaucracy of a police state
or the office of a thoroughly nasty business concern."

- - C. S. Lewis

John "Johnboy" Griffiths - RiotACT Editor

http://the-riotact.com
Ph: 0412 690 643
ICQ UIN: 7933859
email: johnboy at the-riotact.com